[aprssig] APRS in Orlando?

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 09:11:47 EDT 2009

Hi.

"Situational Awareness" is a fine idea, but...

The last time I was in the states (PA/NY) with the trusty D7-E, trying
to read such info was a right pain.  There was so much traffic, it just
whizzed off the tiny screen before I had any chance of reading it, of
what was displayed.   Messages get saved in its memory OK, objects etc
just pass by.  A D7, I (used to at least) be able to carry with me on
flights etc, a D700 (or similar) no way.

When I did get a chance to hook up the road weary laptop to it, much of
the information (in Northern NY city in particular) was wrong, in
regards to local voice repeater details (frequency and tone requirements
etc).   That was back in 2005/6 I think.

Are any of the later APRS capable handies any better in this respect?

73.  Dave G0WBX