[aprssig] APRS in Orlando?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Mar 19 00:45:14 EDT 2009

Just thought some Orlando folks might want to see this that I saw on another group:

> This APRS stuff is starting to make some
> more sense to me. I am in Tempe, AZ today
> and have had my eyes opened up a bit.
> I am actually seeing OBJECT beacons on my
> vx-8r that have useful info.
>
> Back home in Orlando, FL even after 3 weeks
> of APRS monitoring, I haven't seen a single
> object beacon.

APRS is supposed to be a local info channel giving situational awareness about ham radio activities of all kinds and of general interest to everyone.  I wonder if there is more we can do in that area.

If Orland is new-N paradigm compliant, at least any visitor should see the locally recommended voice repeater and net times and meeting dates after monitoring the channel for only 10 minutes!  Please see www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

Bob, WB4APR