[aprssig] DSTAR Freq in Status text?

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 13:02:55 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> But that is only for local users, right?

Wrong.

> The DSTAR users has to be on the DSTAR network to make the call,
> and if you are a traveler in a distant area, you might not know the frequency
> of the local DSTAR node, so if you are not in the network, and don't have a
> frequency, then how do you make the call?

<sigh>Go back and read my last post.</sigh>  If you can see the DSTAR
user on the APRS-IS, then he is probably on the network.  If you are a
traveller and you can see other DSTAR users on APRS-IS, then you can
probably see the nearest DSTAR repeater object as well, which displays
the frequency.

> Of course, I have not seen DSTAR in operation, so I wonder if you can give
> us the big picture?  I went to the DPRS page www.aprs-is.net/DPRS.aspx
> but could not get a good flavor as to what the overall intent and process is
> other than showing the DSTAR mobile as a tracker on APRS.

I have seen others try to explain it to you before.  I think the only
way your going to get "the big picture" is to get a D-STAR radio, use
it and learn about it.  It's actually pretty simple.