[aprssig] APRS Bandwidth

G0JXN Jim g0jxn.jim at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 23 06:37:46 EDT 2009

Hi Guys

The UK Amateur Radio license no longer allows the operation of an APRS digipeater without special permission (Notice of Variation) from the regulator (Ofcom). It being filtered first through the RSGB.

I wish to run a digipeater on 10.151MHz (KAM) but am advised the it would probably not be recommended by the RSGB because the bandwidth of 300bd would exceed the 500Hz laid down in the IARU bandplan for 30m. The implication being that we should not operate APRS on 30m at all.

Monitoring signals on 30m I find that they all seem to be within 400Hz but I will need to prove that on paper.

Can anyone please tell me what the bandwidth will be for a properly adjusted 300bd station and how this might be calculated?

73

Jim, G0JXN