[aprssig] Citizen Health Observer Program (CHOP) - Milemarks

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 22 23:18:52 EDT 2009

> Next thing you know we'll all be feeding
> the locations of our buddies into the
> Internet so they can all be tracked.

Which was all part of the original APRS design.  The original APRS had built-in milemarks for the whole country.  If any non-APRS ham reported his position by milemark, just entering the numbers would put him as an object on the map so that the APRS operators could keep track of him if needed.

Since the original APRS automatically deadreckoned moving positions, this object would appear to move on all other APRS displays.  Even UIview incorporated the milemark system, but I rarely if ever see anyone using it.

This is because too many people think of APRS as something to watch, instead of something where THEY are supposed to be the primary DATA INPUT responsibility. (The eyes and ears inputing data so that everyone else can see the real-time situation).

Bob, WB4APR