[aprssig] HAMFEST Objects (again)

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 17:35:33 EDT 2009

> I just checked, an nowhere in the world for the next 2 weeks are
> there any Hamfests.
>
> See http://map.findu.com/HFEST*

Biggest geekfest of the year for the PNW is this weekend..
http://www.seapac.org.   It's tagged by an object but not the HFEST
scheme:  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?SEAPAC

I brought it up on the nwaprs.info list...     This is the result (so far)..

----

>> Well, let's see. In the spirit of all anarchist organizations; YOU asked
>> about it, therefore YOU are in charge of taking care of it! Over to you,

NWP> How can I resist an opportunity to do a W7..   Hmmm.   Time for a
NWP> tweak to one of the PM's on the D700..

NWP - follow up.

That was an interesting, if brief, experiment.   Bottom line is that a
D700 won't work for a hamfest object.   Show stopper was the inability
to do the required /h hamfest object.   Secondary issue was the
awkardness of converting the lat/long from the aprs.fi min'sec' value
in place of the gps data and setting a status message.

Bottom line - D700 is good for tagging the current location with a
marker but it's not a viable platform to create a fixed object at
distant location.

I'll have to relegate this opportunity to somebody else as I don't
have a station on 144.39 these days.

73
Bill - WA7NWP