[aprssig] Is WXSVR Permanently Defunct???

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Jul 28 20:18:11 EDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

>> The created item is my property, and I have the right to do with it
>> what I please!
>
> Amen!
>
> I ran some code against the Xastir sources a few times that counts
> lines of actual code, categorizes them by language, and then
> estimates how much the code would be worth if using paid
> programmers.  It's absolutely amazing what numbers it comes up with!

And the fact that you choose to give it away is great. You deserve
cudos for making that choice. If others try to say that you should be
required to do that, it detracts from the choice you made. When I
stopped supporting javAPRS I did not make it open source, but I did
turn it over to Pete. That was my free will, I don't want to be forced
to do anything. When Roger knew he was terminal he made the decision
not to allow further development of UI-View. It might have been better
for APRS had he decided otherwise, but it was absolutely his right to
make that decision. I hate that some people see computer software as
something less real than a sailboat.

Steve