[aprssig] Local Info & Object Bandwidth (+ AVRS)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 23 12:10:33 EDT 2009

>> Build it and they will come! Bob, WB4APR
>
> I have a big philosophical difference...
> A 1200 baud ALOHA channel will never be
> able to carry a significant amount of data
> from the internet to mobiles.... Why are
> you still trying desperately to force all
> information through a tiny straw...

I am not trying to force "internet to mobiles", I am trying to
serve "local relevant real time amateur radio info" to local
mobiles and travelers for their use. (anywhere, anytime).  And
we can do it.

Look at APRS in any metro area.  95% of all packets heard just
about on any APRS digi in any metro area is stuff
from-out-of-area of no interest to the local operator in the
footprint of that digi.  The New-N paradigm made a HUGE
improvement, but still there is so much of non-local footprint
value spamming our channel.

Placing local real-time HAM RADIO info on the mobile display is
still the fundamental objective of APRS.  And the channel -can--
handle it... We just have to be more selective about how we put
the right data in the right place.

In the footprint of my local digis (lets say 3 of them cover all
of my local routine travels), there may be 3 dozen mobiles, 3
digis, 9 WX stations and 5 OPEN Echolink or IRLP nodes. The
local 1200 baud channel can easily source that data with no
problem at all.

So yes, I persist in pushing the envelope to get the INFO and
CONTENT out to users...  When the load gets too big, just like
the cell phone system, then we simply make the cells smaller.
Still, feeding LOCAL info to LOCAL users, while providing
point-to-point global messaging.  (And with EchoLink integrated,
global voice!).

We have had all the toys since 2000 when I began this AVRS
initiative, I just need help in figuring out how to get it all
integrated...

AVRS - Automatic Voice Relay System
www.aprs.org/avrs.html

Bob, Wb4APR