[aprssig] Local Info & Object Bandwidth (+ AVRS)

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Thu Jul 23 13:12:53 EDT 2009

In the middle of the East Tennessee area, around Knoxville, we have adopted a
system much like what is described in http://aprs.org/fixingLA.html.

We have 5 high-level digi's which provide almost total coverage for the entire
area. Each digi is heard by at least one iGate. I believe the iGate coverage
is critical since for MOST day-to-day use, people want to get their packets to
and from the internet.

We essentially provide everyone with a single hop in the area. The number of
out-of-area packets has dropped dramatically (we were routinely seeing
stations 200+ miles away locally) and the availability of the frequency has
opened up quite a bit.

We have a number of objects & bulletins that are created for nets and other
events of interest to hams in the area and are continually adding more
information.

I've been very pleased with the results and everyone else seems to be as well.

The only issue that I have is that there are five repeaters which show in our
local area when we really should only show one or two; if you look, you'll see
that many of them are being sent out out by home stations using multiple hops
and not direct from the digi's. But given that we have room on the frequency
now, this is not too much of a problem.
--
William McKeehan
KI4HDU