[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Thu Jul 23 12:04:40 EDT 2009

One principle guides this over all others: ALL packets seen on APRS-IS are available to ALL.  What you are asking is hundreds of "regional" subnets where data is only injected for that region.  Great idea; completely undoable in an ad-hoc network which is APRS-IS.  And, there is nothing that prevents someone from botching their configuration up causing all of those "regional" packets to show back up to everyone.

Also, there are not 20,000 nodes we are looking at but 2,000.  And only a fraction of those will set up usage for APRS.  Hence, my statement that this should be left to the individual Echolink sysops.  I don't believe a central, non-real-time server (or servers dispersed regionally) provides anything other than excessive overhead (read "no benefit").  The idea to subdivide APRS-IS into regional subnets is wrought with the potential for improper configurations breaking APRS-IS even further.

My recommendation: follow Lynn's lead and let it drop.  If you want to pursue it further, contact Jonathan directly (not through a group blast) and see if APRS-IS server connectivity could be added to Echolink for links and repeaters only (similar to what is available today for TNCs).  I will be happy to work with him off-list on the particulars of the APRS-IS idiosyncrasies.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net