[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (fina?l)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jul 22 16:36:28 EDT 2009

Steve,

There was discussion both ways, some people believe it should be both
ways.  There is no technical nor legal reason (on APRS-IS) for one vs
the other, although some mistakenly believed these objects would somehow
conflict with the real station's position.

My final decision was based on the following factors:

1) There's no interference for using the station's callsign
2) The ToCall of APELNK will be google-able and define where the objects
are coming from
3) My call will be in the path of the raw packets on the Internet
4) All of the information in the object is controlled by the node's owner
5) I'm only reformatting data, not authoring anything new
6) All information is already available to the public (EchoLink status)

Mike (kb8zgl) put it best at 10:39 today:

"It would seem odd to me to see my KB8ZGL-R EL object come from someone
else's callsign. That would bother me more than seeing it come from my
own callsign even though I didn't put it out there."

I agree with him wholeheartedly.  I really wouldn't want to see some
other callsign "owning" my EchoLink Nodes object.  I might not like
seeing someone else injecting the object, but at least the object
acknowledges my "ownership".

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ