[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 12:25:32 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> Also, if you look at "phase 2", you could kill objects that
>> go offline.
>>

> Can someone define "offline" in the Echolink sense?

 It means you are not running the Echolink software.

Each time you start up the program, it logs into the Echolink server and
reports that a particular copy of Echolink (i.e. callsign)  is connected
to the Internet and available to be contacted.   [This is what makes
your call show up in the list of stations that you can browse inside
Echolink.]

Every so many minutes, the local software contacts the server to
download an updated list of stations currently online. This also
confirms to the server that the program is still up and running.    This
update rate is user-configurable (default is every 300 seconds) and is a
tradeoff between bandwidth usage and timely updates of" whos on".  I'm
not certain, but I think the client software also does some sort of
periodic "heatbeat ping" to the server to confirm the client is still
online, even if the update rate is disabled (which is a user option).

When you exit the software, (or Windows crashes or reboots) the
associated callsign will be purged from the list of active stations if
the server doesn't hear an update request within a certain time interval.)

This causes you to be "offline".

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF