[aprssig] APRS legality

Jack Spitznagel frawg at frawg.org
Wed Jan 28 19:30:11 EST 2009

Ben Jackson wrote:
> <snipum obvium>
> Bob:
>
> I think what Steve is trying to say that unless someone replied to each
> one of those 100000 or so packets, they are, be definition, one way.

Yes... but... (read below).
> Your "drive time net" analogy does not work in your above stated case as
> in a roundtable-type net, each station knows who are they addressing.
> They may or may not be addressing the entire roundtable, but "go 'round"
> each station addresses at least one other station, at very least when
> they hand it off. Such a thing cannot be said for APRS.

APRS is more like a Facebook or Twitter type service... we are a group
of "friends" or more properly associates who have chosen to maintain
"situational awareness" of what each other is doing. We wind up with
casual "associates of our associates" on our list who we may or may not
choose to ignore. If we want, we can be aware of where our associates
are, what they are doing, what their environment is like, and if they
are available. If they are available for a chat, we can choose to
communicate with them by voice or messaging. Some communication is one
way, some is two way, and some is multiway... it is what it is...
A(PPPP)RS. It works (for the most part)... and can work better if people
cooperate and optimize their "tweets" so they don't spew packets all
over creation.
> Is APRS legal? FCC seems to think so. Does it really matter why at this
> point?

Nope... Thanks Ben!

Jack - kd4iz