[aprssig] APRS legality

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 28 19:08:25 EST 2009

Ben,

Apparently we disagree.  I contend that APRS is a network.  The
network is composed mostly of stations that are transmitting and
receiving local data to each other.  I just don't see any other
way to see it.

Similarly, transmissions from transmit only telemetry devices
are one-way, and there too, I cannot see it any other way.  Yet
the difference between the first case (2-way with transceivers)
and the latter case with transmitters only, is a really, really
big difference to you , me and the FCC.

I contend it is that distinction that the FCC was trying to
define in their distinction of one-way transmissions.

Bob

snipped>

> >> Bob,... I'd say over the last 12 years I've
> >> transmitted somewhere over 100,000 packets
> >> on HF and VHF APRS. Aside from a tiny handful
> >> of messages (probably less than 0.001%),
> >> none were directed at "one or more specific
> >> stations".  They were one-way transmission
> >> to whoever happened to be listening, and for reception
> >> into the APRS Internet System.
> >
> > Fine, that was your intent.
> >
> > Similarly, I have probably transmitted 100,000 or so packets
too
> > but the difference is that mine were all directed toward the
> > local APRS network and the specific partitipating stations.
> > None of mine (except the unattended remote telemetry
station)
> > were one-way transmissions.
>
> Bob:
>
> I think what Steve is trying to say that unless someone
> replied to each
> one of those 100000 or so packets, they are, be definition,
one way.

> Your "drive time net" analogy does not work in your above
> stated case as
> in a roundtable-type net, each station knows who are they
addressing.