[aprssig] APRS / Packet board for Arduino

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 04:35:07 EST 2009

Thanks.

I had googled for Arduino and filtered for ethernet etc, no hits,
perhaps they are a different name?

I know the X-Port products, esentialy a Ethernet<>Serial converter, that
will interface with anything that would normaly use a MAX232 series IO
chip for RS232.   Seems there is also a WiFi<>Serial module too.

They are good products, but can vary from easy to setup if the "gadget"
has a User Interface, to a right pain if you have to start using Reverse
ARP and the Network based configurator.  Plus, we can get them over hear
in the UK too, the last time I checked, the prices were almost
acceptable for us hobby types.
http://www.alphamicro.net/components/category~line~11~id~34.asp
The only hassle is the 3.3V requirement, where most of what I mess with
is 5V.  Not insurmountable, but a little more work.

I know there are some "Project" designs about for several flavor of MCU,
that use either a complete PC type PCI network card, or the chips as
used theron (Incl the cable drivers/transformers etc.)   I was just
wondering if there was something like that all on one board, keeping the
hardware cost down.   (As if recycled PC network cards are
expensive!...)

Overall, the X-Port devices are probably (at this time) the best
compromise.   At least on my own network, I can use the network based
configurator without P'ing off any IT types.

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.