[aprssig] What is the best GPS Data RX on the market now?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 16:05:14 EST 2009

Greg D. wrote:
> I don't know if the GPS-18x comes with Garmin's MapSource software,
> but if it does, it can download all the stuff from your older units.
> My 10 year old GPS-III was dieing about a year and a half ago (dead
> pixel streaks across the screen), and I upgraded to an eTrex Vista
> HCx.  The software that came with the unit had no problem downloading
> from the GPS-III and uploading to the eTrex.  (The eTrex isn't for you
> - no serial port.)

You don't need anything as massive and MapSource to get the waypoints
and tracks out.    There are at least two freeware utilities that will
do the the job.   Both of the programs belows are small lightweight
programs that don't sludge up Windows with "mystery DLLs dumped into the
Windows system folders or entries in the Windows registry. Either can be
run directly off a USB stick without a formal install procedure.

G7toWin will upload/download data to Garmin units, including USB ones
and is downloadable at:

     <http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/g7towin.htm>

This program will download tracks, waypoints AND bitmap graphics dumps
of the display screens of those Garmin units that have them.  It can
download into numerous of file formats including various proprietary GPS
formats, plain comma separated text files and Delorme .SAx files
directly readable by Street Atlas and TopoUSA.

An alternative is GPS Babel downloadable at:

     <http://www.gpsbabel.org/>

This open-source utility can both upload/download from variety of GPS
units,  and can also convert files already on your hard disk between a
huge  variety of proprietary formats used by various GPS mfrs, mapping
programs and geocaching websites.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:     WA8LMF

World Digipeater Map