[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Jan 23 22:52:44 EST 2009

I'd like to see some real effort made to get IGate <> RF messaging
working right.  I switched to Xastir for my IGate because I could never
get APRSD to do it, and it WAS working, but when I tested it the other
day I couldn't get anything from the Internet to RF.  I've been meaning
to check on the Xastir list to see if anyone can figure out what's wrong
- all of the interface settings look OK.

I've had friends and family drive all over the country, and I've only
rarely been able to get messages through to them.  Usually only when
they're passing through largish cities with several IGates.

As for the DTMF HTs, I just can't see it catching on enough to be really
widely useful.

We really need to encourage the HT manufacturers to add some native
messaging capability.  Or shoehorn it in there ourselves.  For the
PX-777 radios I carry, I've found that it'd be possible to cram a small
MCU board between the keypad/display panel and the radio board.  The bad
news is that you'd still have to tap into the audio in/out elsewhere,
and getting to the rotary encoder would be difficult.  If the ribbon
cable was all that was needed for all of that, I think it'd be a viable
product.

> So much to do, so little time.  And Scott and Byon are up to
> their eyeballs in mainline APRS projects, so lets spread the fun
> around!

I've got a new helper starting next week - might finally have time to
get some projects done.  But I'll only consider taking on new projects
if you don't automatically call all microcontrollers PICs.  =]
The 6800 was already old when I start working with it, but Microchip and
their PICs weren't even on the horizon yet.

Scott
N1VG