[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Sat Jan 24 02:57:53 EST 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> The FT-51R and TH-78 radios of the 1990's can send and receive
> and display text messages up to 60 characters long.  It never
> cought-on, but there are dozens of thousands of them out there.

I have a TH-78, have had one for about 15 years. Once in the 90's I
tried the dtmf stuff with a friend, it worked. But I don't see the point
in trying to build anything on top of the specific functionality offered
by these 15 year old radios. My TH-78 has about had it anyway, 15 years
is a long time for a handheld radio. I doubt there aren't many of these
in use anymore.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't build or try new things, just
questioning the rationale of basing them on specific, very old, radio
modles.

   Tapio