[aprssig] Doubling APRS messaging in ham radio overnight

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 23 21:46:31 EST 2009

> The whole Arduino thing sort of puzzles me.
> At least it's enabling people who wouldn't
> otherwise get involved with a microcontroller
> to do something interesting with them.  Even
> if blinking a LED is what they considering
> exciting.

What we really need is someone to take on the simple task of a
PIC converter to convert APRS messages to DTMF PAGING text
messages so that those dozens of THOUSANDS of existing amateur
radio DTMF paging HT's can be used to receive and send APRS
messages.

A great hobby project by someone wanting to do something new and
revolutionize ham radio.

The FT-51R and TH-78 radios of the 1990's can send and receive
and display text messages up to 60 characters long.  It never
cought-on, but there are dozens of thousands of them out there.
We just need this PIC controller to GATEWAY between them and
APRS.

See the  overall project: www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html
And specifically the link to the FT51/TH78 project:
www.aprs.org/FT51-TH78.html

So much to do, so little time.  And Scott and Byon are up to
their eyeballs in mainline APRS projects, so lets spread the fun
around!

Bob, Wb4APR