[aprssig] US APRS symbol usage

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 21:10:25 EST 2009

Bob,
	Off List.

	If APRS is used at NWS WFO it is only for ham use.  They have
official channels for ingesting weather info, which includes quality control
checks.  Exceptions may be made during severe weather events, but my direct
experience has shown the warning meterologist's are not interested in this
info.  Instead they use METAR data from Airports, and AWOS (automated
weather stations), which are available to them via official channels, in
near real time.  They will also use the telephone to access automated voice
weather at airports.

	Weather stations who are RF only should only use a MAXIMUM of one
hop IMO.  While it would be nice to get into an IGATE, the info will never
get picked up by NWS for dissemination in any case.  It is mainly of use to
people in the vicinity of the weather station, particularly mobiles.

Bill