[aprssig] US APRS symbol usage

Russ Chadwick russ at wxqa.com
Fri Jan 23 22:28:25 EST 2009

Bill Diaz wrote:

> 	If APRS is used at NWS WFO it is only for ham use.  They have
> official channels for ingesting weather info, which includes quality control
> checks.  Exceptions may be made during severe weather events, but my direct
> experience has shown the warning meterologist's are not interested in this
> info.  Instead they use METAR data from Airports, and AWOS (automated
> weather stations), which are available to them via official channels, in
> near real time.  They will also use the telephone to access automated voice
> weather at airports.

Bill,

The CWOP weather data (nearly 5000 ham and non-ham weather stations) go
through MADIS and then to all NWS WFOs where the data can appear on the
AWIPS workstations.  Note this is on the operational WFO work stations,
not on some PC running over in the corner.  The data also go to the
National Center for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) where they are used
in operational numerical weather prediction.  In fact, the CWOP data
routinely go to over 450 user agencies (note agencies, not individuals)
for use in research, operations and other activities.

Russ  KB0TVJ
http://www.cwop.net