[aprssig] Text Messaging Radios (a simple use)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Feb 11 18:31:45 EST 2009

>> Here is a very fundamental and simple
>> application of [DTMF checkin to a net].
>> [To help ease] congestion on the main
>> voice net...
>
> So, instead of using voice for the initial
> "hail" you're just using another method.
> [DTMF on an alternate channel with a visual
> display under the nose of net control].
> You have no idea if your message didn't get
> through, net control is taking a potty break,
> or if other stations' traffic has a higher
> priority then yours.

Sure do.  No difference than by giving your callsign by voice.
If the net control responds, he heard you.  If he doesn't
respond within due time, then he didn't.  No difference than
checking in on voice, EXCEPT that you did not take up valuable
net time and interrupt the present flow of traffic to check in.

Clearly if the net is uncluttered and the channel is clear, the
voice checkin works very well.  But the DTMF backdoor could let
you checkin or interrupt net control if needed.

> The more I hear about this, the more I
> think it's a solution in search of a
> problem.

Yes, exactly.  Just another tool in the amateur radio's
operator's tool box to consider as ways to offset all the
chatter on the main net frequency during an event.  If it
doesn't apply, don't use it.

I can't believe these radios have been out there for a dozen
years and no one has developed good applications for these
features.

Bob, WB4APR