[aprssig] Text Messaging Radios (a simple use)

Ben Jackson bbj at innismir.net
Wed Feb 11 08:53:51 EST 2009

On 2/11/2009, "Bob Bruninga " <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

>> If anyone gets this up and going,
>> I would love to see a youtube
>> video of it working and of the
>> equipment used.
>
>Here is a very fundamental and simple application of this capability at a huge marathon for example.  We all know the congestion on the main voice net and how inefficient it is to pass traffic by first  having to get the attention of Net Control, be acknowledged, and then allowed to pass the traffic.

So, instead of using voice for the initial "hail" you're just using
another method. You have no idea if your message didn't get through,
net control is taking a potty break, or if other stations' traffic has
a higher priority then yours.

The more I hear about this, the more I think it's a solution in search
of a problem.