[aprssig] APRS Priority bit

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 26 23:29:55 EDT 2009

>> Using the overlay-case-bit does not
>> require any modifiction to all
>> existing software.   But using a
>> SUBNET would,
>
> I don't agree here. The spec as it is
> ... for overlay characters is 0-9 and A-Z.
> So software has been written that will
> only accept overlay characters that are 0-9
> or A-Z, in upper case.

Can you help us identify these?

> This is the same thing as the operator-
> present-bit. The original spec had the
> hemisphere indicators in upper case only,
> so some programs are written to only
> accept upper case indicators.

Yes, and when we found out that UI-view, which cannot be u pgraded would not accept them over 2 years ore more ago, we dropped that proposal.  For a few years now he operator-present indicator is now an overlay "O".

> claiming that the change doesn't require
> modifications to any existing pieces of
> software just isn't true.

Your missintepreted the thread.  My sentence above was saying that ALL software WOULD have to change if we used the ALTNET indicator.  This was as opposed to using the propsed overly-case bit which does NOT effect ALL software...

Big difference.  If you can help identify what software fimware will not pass lower case overlays, let us know...

thanks
Bob, WB4APR