[aprssig] APRS Priority bit

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Wed Aug 26 23:19:14 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Using the overlay-case-bit does not require any modifiction al
> all existing software.   But using a SUBNET would, else no one
> would see the priority traffic...

I don't agree here. The spec as it is -- or at least as it was before
you got this idea -- for overlay characters is 0-9 and A-Z. So software
has been written that will only accept overlay characters that are 0-9
or A-Z, in upper case. Anything else causes packets to be dropped to the
floor, in some software implementations.

This is the same thing as the operator-present-bit. The original spec
had the hemisphere indicators in upper case only, so some programs are
written to only accept upper case indicators.

I'm not saying things can't change in the APRS spec. But changing
something and then claiming that the change doesn't require
modifications to any existing pieces of software just isn't true.

   Tapio