[aprssig] Secutiry for the aprs protocol and software

William Gery wgery at kc.rr.com
Sun Aug 23 09:19:14 EDT 2009

This is a follow up to a question posed about a month back. It seems the
NWS may be the first agency looking into APRS at this level.

We need to answers a couple of questions and hope the this group can
assist. APRS can provide  communications between the NWS,  spotters and
EM/s. It also provides  good situation awareness for all.

Here are the questions we need answers.

First, The APRS radio transmission. The APRS protocol as received by a
TNC and software looks to be immune from accepting any thing but valid
APRS packet. Are there can special precaution that should be taken ?

Second,

Both UI-View and Xastir permit radar data and also weather warning to be
displayed. This requires the APRS system to be connect to the Internet.
The data received from the Internet server is the APRS protocol.  Is
there a way that this data stream could be compromised ?

Based on the information we received we will be able to address the
options and continue to use APRS to meet the NWS mission.

Thanks for your help

Bill
--
William Gery - KA2FNK