[aprssig] Secutiry for the aprs protocol and software

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Sun Aug 23 10:03:04 EDT 2009

Bill,
	See below:

	Any invalid packets (CRC errors etc) will be rejected by a TNC if
PASSALL is set to OFF.  If PASSALL is set ON then invalid packets can be
received and be relayed etc.  Unfortunately, we do occasionally see invalid
packets showing up on the APRS-IS from mis-configured TNC's.

>Second,
>
>Both UI-View and Xastir permit radar data and also weather
>warning to be
>displayed. This requires the APRS system to be connect to the Internet.

	The radar image data used by UiView/NWSGet is obtained from one or
more of the following: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/Conus/RadarImg
,http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/RadarImg/ ,
http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/GIS/data/gis/images/unproj/USCOMP/ ,
http://mesonet.tamu.edu/gemdata/images/radar/

>The data received from the Internet server is the APRS protocol.  Is
>there a way that this data stream could be compromised ?

	The WWA in APRS format received in the past from WxSvr are no longer
available.  Pete Loveall AE5PL is in the process of generating Warnings via
a new server application.  Watches and some other products previously
received from WxSvr apparently will not be supported on the new server.
Contact Pete directly for details at pete at ae5pl.net.

Bill KC9XG