[aprssig] APRS Priority bit

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 19 22:28:39 EDT 2009

> To say that a packet would have priority
> over other packets makes sense when you
> have lots of packets queued up and *could*
> reorder the queue..

That was not the idea at all.  It is a desimation filter.  There are three possible actions based on PRIORITY depending on the degree of decimation needed..  Starting with the least impact, going to the most impact, depending on the MINIMIZE level set at the digi for the immediate situation...

1) pass priority, subtract an extra -1 to routine
2) pass priority, digipeat routine once
3) pass priority, ignore routine
4) decremet priority an extra -1
5) digipeat priority only once.

I wonder if I was premature in assigning the use of the newly discovered overlay-case-bit to the priority requirement.  Although I believe adding priority was the next most important bit for APRS, maybe we need some more testing.  SIlly me, I didnt even test it yet on the D7 or D700!

I dont care that you cannot enter it in the older radios, but we need to know what they do when they receive an overlay such as lower case "a"...

Ill try to remember to test it tomorrow.

Bob