[aprssig] APRS Priority bit

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Wed Aug 19 16:29:32 EDT 2009

I can't get the page to load to read the priority article.  However, at
first brush, I'm a little bewildered by this.  In the past DWAIT 0 has been
pushed and digipeaters are supposed to digi straight away.  Digi's should
not wait to digipeat a packet. Fracticide and the FM capture effect are
supposed to keep me from hearing multiple digi's of my packet.  An example
of this is in the morning when the band is open, I often see my packet
digipeated by two digi's simultaneously.  Well to be more correct, I'm dead
in the middle between two of them and can't decode either, but I do see the
S9 digi drop first leaving a few milliseconds of the S3 digi's packet.  This
is how it's supposed to work.

To say that a packet would have priority over other packets makes sense when
you have lots of packets queued up and *could* reorder the queue and push
the hi priority packets to the head of the line.  But that's not how it
works on 2m.  Digi's are supposed to respond ASAP, one packet at a time.
There is no possibility to hear a 2nd packet before digipeating in a
properly configured digipeater.  Are we to assume that a digi would
intentionally delay a given packet just in case something of a higher
priority came along in the next few seconds?

Something that was suggested a few years ago focused on the low priority
packets.  Perhaps a different perspective of the same problem... instead of
marking some packets as hi priority, let's mark some packets as low
priority.  Multiple packets could be accumulated and digipeated all at once
at the end of some interval.  For example, a WX station could be said to be
low prority trafic.  So the digipeater queues such packets and at the end of
120(??) seconds would spit all of them out.  The savings would be (N-1) x
txdelay seconds.  Other opportunities for low priority traffic could the the
beacons of other neighboring digipeaters.

As far as where to indicate low priority, I believe it needs to be in the
ax25 header, not embedded inside the data portion of the packet, UI-view
bedamned....  (no offense to UI-View users intended).  As far as I can see,
fixed firmware digipeaters are more of a legacy problem than ui-view in any
case.

Wes
---
Hitler gave great speeches too!