[aprssig] APRS Priority bit

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Aug 25 10:10:45 EDT 2009

I've been mulling this over.  I see that the concept is to be able to shut
off all non-essential traffic at the digipeaters.  Why don't we just use the
subnet concept?  Doesn't UIView support subnet? Since this proposal would
require modification to the digi's programming either way.  But then again,
how to mic-e packets fit into the subnet concept?  Isn't the TO call used
for part of the position?

Wes

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:05, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> APRS needs a priority bit so that the network can make decisions
> about traffic during times of stress.
>
> We have been looking for a way to include a PRIORITY bit in all
> APRS packets for many years, and there are 3 available bits in
> the standard packet, but they cannot be used until UI-view is
> obsolete.
>
> This last week we did find that one of these bits IS backwards
> compatible with UI-view and so we would like to move forward on
> this issue.  Please read:
> http://aprs.org/aprs12/priority-bit.txt
>
> Basically, we will use the CASE of the OVERLAY byte to indicate
> ROUTINE or PRIORITY.  If the overlay byte is UPPERCASE or
> missing, then the packet is ROUUTINE.  If the case of the
> overlay byte is -lowercase- then the packet is PRIORITY.
>
> Last week testing confirmed that UI-view and most other clients
> will display these lower case overlays, or can be updated to do
> so, so this has now been added to the APRS12 addendum.
> www.aprs.org/aprs12.html
>
> This combined with the OPERATOR PRESENT bit which has been
> defined for years, gives operators an easy way to differentiate
> assests of immediate value during times of stress and to
> minimize or ignore routine or unattended systems as needed.
>
> DIGIPEATER code can add a SYSOP parameter that allows a sysop to
> designate a local emergency and to implement a MINIMIZE function
> that lets the digipeater make decisions on traffic load based on
> packet priority or other parameters.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Wes
---
We are learning a lot more about Chicago-style politics than I ever wanted
to...