[aprssig] spaces in object names .02c

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 15:38:16 EDT 2009

--- Gregg Wonderly  wrote, in response to Steve Noskowicz's remark of:

> > I submit that a 9 character fixed length field
> > (explicitly padded ...) containing
> > "K9DCI   A"  has NO trailing spaces.
> > Where as "K9DCI  A " has only one.
>
> When you need to type in "K9DCI   A" ...
> How hard do you have to think about the number of spaces
> that go between? ...

To which Steve responds:
  Well, Gregg, I must admit that re-reading what I wrote, I can't figure out what I intended by that part.  What I wrote is factual, but *why* I said it or what I was trying to emphasize is a mistery to me now.  It musta' been late...

RE:
> I'm not sure I like spaces in the middle at all.

Steve comments:
I agree that multiple internal spaces (are IMHO dumb and) should be discouraged since it appears that changing names in any way is taboo.  I tried to say that in another post.   The "how many spaces" issue is a compelling argument for not doing it.

As I read the comments in this discussion,  I *do* feel that this type of thing (DIScouraging multiple internal spaces or specifying that a space is printable...)  should be explicit in the spec and not left to further  interpretation...that's what I think is important.

73, Steve, K9DCI