[aprssig] Packet Interpretation - Wind or Motion

Pierre Thibaudeau ve2prt at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 14 15:15:53 EDT 2009

Today, 15:01 -0400, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>    > ... As a workaround, I will switch to some
>    > other format (positionless and/or raw
>    > weather reports) that all clients
>    > that I am dealing with are decoding the same
>    > (and "correctly").
>
>    PLEASE PLEASE NO.  I will forever maintain that the transmission
>    of positionless weather on APRS is an anathma to the principles
>    of APRS in that no data should be transmitted that depends on
>    OTHER packets to be complete... Especially when the "other" data
>    is in a packet that is sent only 10% of the time, thus rendering
>    the WX data useless 90% of the time to anyone on the frequency!
>    Because they cannot SEE where the WX is!

I agree wholeheartedly Bob as I have the same reservations.

If I were to do it, it would be in last resort and then I would beacon the
station's position at least once per 5 minutes. Of course it would mean
more RF traffic, but I was thinking of using WIDE1-1 to limit the extent
of those reports. At least, those who have prime interest in the station's
reports would know what's happening.

(VE2RKL-3 is serving a special purpose at this time of the year as we a
amid a major hot air balloon festival. Two launches a day, around a
hundred balloons for each launch.)

'73 - Pierre
__

Pierre Thibaudeau
VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD sysadmin