[aprssig] Packet Interpretation - Wind or Motion

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 14 15:01:17 EDT 2009

> ... As a workaround, I will switch to some
> other format (positionless and/or raw
> weather reports) that all clients
> that I am dealing with are decoding the same
> (and "correctly").

PLEASE PLEASE NO.  I will forever maintain that the transmission
of positionless weather on APRS is an anathma to the principles
of APRS in that no data should be transmitted that depends on
OTHER packets to be complete... Especially when the "other" data
is in a packet that is sent only 10% of the time, thus rendering
the WX data useless 90% of the time to anyone on the frequency!
Because they cannot SEE where the WX is!

Please use only the original combined WX format that tells the
receipent WHAT the whether is and WHERE it is in the same packet
always.  Hopefully as WinAPRS fades, those positionless weather
systems will to go away eventually.

Thanks
Bob, WB4aPR

> Question?
>
> Besides Xastir, are there other APRS clients who interpret
> wind speed from
> the Complete Weather Reports in knots?
>
> '73 - Pierre
> __
>
> Pierre Thibaudeau
> VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD
sysadmin