[aprssig] Packet Interpretation - Wind or Motion

Pierre Thibaudeau ve2prt at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 14 12:23:49 EDT 2009

Today, 10:29 -0500, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

>    On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Pierre Thibaudeau<ve2prt at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>    > But there is the case of UI-View that takes it as
>    > mph. Beeing in a frozen state while at the same time having a very large
>    > user base is a concern to me.
>
>    That should be a concern for the folks using obsolete software,
>    instead of the rest of the world working around people who insist on
>    using obsolete software.

At the present time, the large majority of users that I'm working with are
viewing the wind reports on four different platforms: UI-View, findu.com,
aprs.fi & wunderground.com (the latter is not fed by APRS so it's not a
concern here). Interestingly, findu.com and aprs.fi behave just like
UI-View. i.e. they interpret the wind speed from the Complete Weather
Reports in mph (instead of knots). I say interestingly, because this way
they display the same thing as UI-View. (For accuracy, my weather station
actually transmits the wind speeds in mph instead of knots.)

>    It is simply a matter of time until some change in windows causes
>    UIView to cease functioning at all.

I know many people who are still running Window98 so they can keep up with
their fetish applications. I even know a guy who was not capable of
installing Windows98 on his brand new computer and managed to run it as a
virtual machine. Old things live longer in ham's hands :)

Anyway,

Before this issue is resolves, it might get worse (if findu.com and/or
aprs.fi decides to fix their apps). As a workaround, I will switch to some
other format (positionless and/or raw weather reports) that all clients
that I am dealing with are decoding the same (and "correctly").

Question?

Besides Xastir, are there other APRS clients who interpret wind speed from
the Complete Weather Reports in knots?

'73 - Pierre
__

Pierre Thibaudeau
VA2RKA/VA2RKB/VE2RIO/VE2RVR/VE2RQF/VE2RTO/VE2LKL/VE2TXD sysadmin