[aprssig] Object wierdness

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Fri Aug 14 11:03:01 EDT 2009

That sounds a LOT like what we occasionally see where someone will get home, shut off their mobile, and anywhere from several minutes to several hours later their "position" will move around the area and their tracker is SHUT OFF.

I don't think anybody has ever actually discovered why this happens.

7 3
Earl
KD5XB

KG5LT wrote:
I am helping N5AG figure out why an object still appears on aprs.fi.
The object name is KD5LVH.  It currently is "owned" by N5AG-5, a rf-
receive-only UI-View igate station (no RF xmit).  The current
timestamp tells me that it gets updated about every 22 minutes from
N5AG-5.  Earlier this afternoon in assisting N5AG in getting rid of
the object, I created an object on RF using xastir with KD5LVH name.
Sure enough on aprs.fi I was now the new "owner".  I waited a few
minutes, then using xastir, I deleted the KD5LVH object.

Just now N5AG and myself were discussing this on the local repeater.
We both saw the KD5LVH object on aprs.fi and back at it's original
position.  N5AG-5 was now the owner of the object.  Just now, I see
where the object has moved to where it was the last time I had
created it and I am now the new owner.  Heh?  How can that be, I
haven't done anything with it on xastir for several hours.  This
starting to sound like the Twilight Zone...

Question:  Does anyone have a clue as to why UI-View with igate
capability would be automatically creating this object?  N5AG as not
very familiar with UI-View, and neither am I.  Or, is this an issue
with aprs.fi that we both don't understand?

It could be that *I* am clueless on how objects work.  I thought I
knew.  Now, I'm not so sure...

73 - Dale.  KG5LT

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cw_bugs