[aprssig] Object wierdness

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Aug 14 12:33:46 EDT 2009

Earl Needham wrote:
> That sounds a LOT like what we occasionally see where someone will get home, shut off their mobile, and anywhere from several minutes to several hours later their "position" will move around the area and their tracker is SHUT OFF.
>
> I don't think anybody has ever actually discovered why this happens.

I discovered one way this can happen the other day when I inadvertently
CAUSED it to occur.  I run the KJ4ERJ-2 IGate here in Palm Bay, FL.  At
one point, I suspended a piece of the data path between the TNC and
javAPRSsrvr for about 10-15 minutes.  When I discovered that and
released the hold, 15 minutes worth of APRS packets were delivered into
APRS-IS.  Since this was well past the default 30 second duplicate
detection interval, they were all considered "new" and spread throughout
the Internet.  If any of these stations had gone off-line during that
interval, the delayed position update became the final position for that
station, at least, until the station came live to change it again.

Ping-Ponging paths are also caused by these sorts of delays, but shorter
than my 10-15 minute one (which I now know NOT to do!).  If a gated
packet is bouncing through 3-4 digis on its way to a second IGate (or
even bouncing back to the original gate), and arrives more than 30
seconds after the original reception of the packet, the update will be
applied.  If, during that bouncing time, the position was updated to be
elsewhere, the station appears to go back in time.  I've observed these
digi-induced delays to be upwards of 2-3 minutes in some busy APRS
environments (where digis will buffer multiple received packets before
bursting them back on the air when the channel is clear).

Anyway, this particular object (KD5LVH) does not appear to be this sort
of event, but stemmed from a single beacon using that call entering
APRS-IS.  I can't explain the lack of kill, but I believe I explained
the original visibility of that callsign.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ