[aprssig] APRS radio and APRS-IS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 14 09:11:23 EDT 2009

>> I have begged... to display APRS symbols PROPERLY!
>> This means every symbol has EIGHT ATTRIBUTES which
>> must be displayed on ALL MAPS...
>
> I agree, that would be a good feature. I'm not
> sure why nearly 5 years later, we are still
> waiting for a "UI-View killer" but I hope that
> feature makes it into it.

Actually, I am beginning to have a clue.  Look at the great
capabilities being offered by the APRS-IS using FINDU, APRS.FI,
OPENAPRS.NET.  Increasingly when I read about a great APRS
event, it seems that the APRS guru's are not taking RF radios
into their EOC's and Net displays, but are instead taking WIFI
and WIRELESS PC's and using the INTERNET in the field to watch
the event instead of bothering with radios..

Nothing wrong with this, its easy, its global, its fantastic...
But me personally, I worry about it being a stack of cards with
too many things that can go wrong..

But the leading edge of APRS users and guru's are also leading
edge internet, and they take APRS where they play the most...

Bob, WB4APR