[aprssig] spaces in object names (meaning)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Aug 13 15:27:11 EDT 2009

On Aug 13, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists wrote:

> As I indicated in the post you referenced, IMO your interpretation
> (which I do not dispute) is a great disservice to the APRS
> community.  The protocol has built into it the very basis of all
> tactical communications that I am familiar with (which extends well
> beyond amateur radio).  That basis is summarized in the following 2
> statements:
>
> Show me what my active entities are and which ones can I communicate
> with immediately.
> Show me what are created entities and which ones are time-sensitive.

That is not the way someone participating in a tactical situation
views things. He wants to know the current situation. If you have an
object named "LEAD" and a station named "LEAD" both on the map, even
if they are identified as an object and a station, there is confusion.
If there is an object called "RESCUE 1" and another called "RESCUE
1", there is confusion. Confusion is bad.

None of what Bob and I are saying affects the way you choose to
display this on an individual client. If you want to write one that,
say, prepends a * before something that does not have the ability to
receive message you can do so. Most clients have some way to convey
this information, perhaps by a popup bubble, a status bar, or another
window that appears when you click on a symbol on the map. The
information and methods to display is up to the client author.

What must be implemented for the use of APRS in tactical settings is a
flat namespace. This is mentioned, though not rigorously, in the spec
in regards to objects not belonging to the person that sent them, I
can kill or move an object you created.

I agree with your idea that there should be something in the spec that
users should avoid the use of confusing object and item names for
clarity, and special symbol use should be minimized, as much as
anything, because testing of bizarre objects names in most clients is
far from rigorous. We've heard for example that aprs.fi cannot handle
commas. I'm sure there are characters that will cause some problem or
another with findU. There may be some in jfindu. Most clients are not
subjected to rigorous testing.

A perfect example is the thing that touched this off. The removal of
all spaces from object names has lurked in findU's parser since it was
first written, nearly 10 years ago, it it is just now that the issue
comes up. Yes, I know you are so much better than me, you do
everything perfectly. I'm not like that, thank God!

I'm still pushing for explicit prohibition of more than a single
special character in a row.

Steve K4HG