[aprssig] spaces in object names

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:51:12 EDT 2009

> My concern is not how the APRS IS handles these, but rather will the
> existing hardware based devices: Namely TNC's with different versions of
> software handle them?
>
> Most of the authors of the clients and all of the IS backbone are on this
> discussion and should be able to resolve the issues within their respective
> software. (Notable exception to the client side is Roger Barker SK). Since
> MANY users use his software that cannot be changed and there are hardware
> based systems including the KPC-3 and D-700 that will NEVER get changed, we
> must look at if the packets will flow THROUGH them.

The issue at hand, objects etc, are part of the AX25 'data' field
which is generally 8 bit binary on all hardware devices so this isn't
an issue.   The discussion pertains to the payload of the AX25 packets
- not the make up of the packet and its  header.

Actually there is an amusing side effect to this.  It's now appears we
can generate 'object' names that will control some Kenwood radios.
This is going to be fun..   :-)

Bill