[aprssig] spaces in object names

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Aug 12 20:02:08 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists wrote:

> Steve, time to put your dependence on Wikipedia to bed.  Go to ...

I really, honest to god, wish you would read what I wrote.

1. I do (now) understand that some people define printable characters
differently

2. There are other sites beside wikipedia that say space is not a
printing character, I used wikipedia because it is the first one in
the listings, I wish you could be as generous and admit that some
people (not just me) consider space to be non-printing. Especially
instead of making this a personal attack on me and wikipedia.

4. I wish you could acknowledge that even if I and the other members
of the APRS WG during the time the spec was written were the only ones
that things that thought that, it is the perceptions of that group
that led to that phrase appearing in the spec.

5 and most important. We need to move on past the pointless argument
over what is non-printing character and make it clear that treating
space as a valid character in object and items names adversely affects
the clarity of communications when APRS is used as a real time
tactical communication system.

Steve K4HG