[aprssig] spaces in object names

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Aug 12 18:17:42 EDT 2009

I'm not weighing in on either side of the debate, but simply adding an
indisputable fact on the matter (hence the quote of WHICH C runtime I
was using).  When someone says "printable" to me (being a C programmer),
I automatically think of isprint() as the "gospel" standard (at least,
according to C).  As for whether it "prints" anything, I would consider
head movement on an old dot matrix printer to be "printing" something,
especially if it prints something else later that shows up (like an
embedded space would cause).  However, that's just my opinion.

If I ever code APRS software that allows a user-specified object name,
I'll enforce the then-current standard.  If I had done it in the past,
it would have been a check against isprint().  Luckily, my current
software doesn't create objects, but simply displays them.

As for display software, while they may be ambiguous in a proportionally
spaced font, if the object comes through APRS (or APRS-IS), I'll display
it to the best of the platform's ability.  As for uniqueness, trailing
blanks certainly aren't part of unique, but embedded spaces would
certainly be considered so.

Now, if an "invalid" object is non-displayable for some reason
(out-of-bound coordinates for instance), then I'd suppress it from the
display, but an ID with embedded spaces would certainly be displayable,
albeit potentially not clearly.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just adding my $0.02 on how to handle the existing
objects