[aprssig] Connecting a computer to the Kenwood TM-710A

Don Downs d.downs at computer.org
Thu Aug 6 23:08:47 EDT 2009

When I connect my '710 to my computer to run UI-View, I use the PG-5G cable.
I just connect it to the radio control head and my USB-to-serial converter
which is connected to the PC.

The TM-D710A has a built-in TNC, so you do not need to connect to the
computer's sound card. I suppose you could use the audio cable in the PG-5H
to connect to the sound card of the computer and use AGWPE or something
similar, but I don't know of any advantages to doing that. I think it's
simpler to just connect to the serial port.

Are you asking if you can use the PG-5H cables to play the audio from the
radio through the PC speakers, and to take audio from the PC mic to the
radio? If so, I'm afraid I don't know -- I hadn't thought of trying to do
that. Hopefully, someone else will fill us in.

73,
Don WA4AVU