[aprssig] Argent Garmin/NMEA translator docs?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Aug 6 12:51:34 EDT 2009

All of the existing docs are on the product page.  So far there hasn't
been a whole lot to document.

> OK, now the next question.  If I do that, will the 5v on that
> line also power the NUVI-350?

Yes, provided it'll supply about 500 mA to cover the nuvi's internal
battery charging.

> 1) What the Argent Garmin/NMEA translator actually does

It translates between NMEA (including Kenwood PKWDWPL sentences) and the
proprietary Garmin binary format.

> 2) How to power it externally
> 3) What it's pinouts are
> 4) Can that external power power both the device and the GPS?
> 5) What is the translation between APRS symbols and Garmin
> symbols?

I'll see if I can post the board layout later with the pin assignments.
  The symbol translations are the same as the Tracker2, which I've sent
you before I think, minus the custom symbols.  See the table starting at
line 23 here:

https://svn.freepository.com/50lItuLQ7fW6s-web/browser/Tracker2/trunk/sources/waypoint.c

Scott
N1VG