[aprssig] Argent Garmin/NMEA translator docs?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Aug 6 12:38:08 EDT 2009

> [aprssig] Nuvi 350 still on sale thru the end of Aug 09 WEB
Only

> Yes, if you can come up with your own 5v power
> supply, you can wire that in to the GTRANS board.
> There's an extra pad for it.  If you [remove
> the shrink tubing]...

OK, now the next question.  If I do that, will the 5v on that
line also power the NUVI-350?

I am very impressed with the Nuvi-350 when combined with the
Argent Garmin/Nmea translator cable to the Kenwood D710.  I like
the display of the different symbols...

But I feel I am working in the dark.  Maybe I just haven't found
the right web page, but it is hard to piece together the info
since the translator does not come with any docs.  One seems to
have to gather a piece of info here, and a piece of info there,
a question on the sig here, an answer there etc...  Here are the
basic docs I'd like to see:

1) What the Argent Garmin/NMEA translator actually does
2) How to power it externally
3) What it's pinouts are
4) Can that external power power both the device and the GPS?
5) What is the translation between APRS symbols and Garmin
symbols?

Again, a great product, but where's the docs?

Bob, Wb4APR