[aprssig] How to send packet through a KISS modem

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Mon Aug 3 17:51:59 EDT 2009

I'd have to look to be sure, but the first byte is comprised of a command
and port number.  there are 4 commands... TX (0), txdelay (1),
persistence(2) and slot time (3).  The upper nibble is the port number (or
the upper nibble).  So sending 192,0,<your packet>,192. will make the packet
squirt out port 0.  transmitting 192,16,<your packet>,192 should squirt a
packet out port 1.    Since most TNC's have only one port anyway this is
pretty much a moot point since you'll always use 00 for the two command
nibbles.  Also, most kantronic TNCs have a separate TX delay and slot time
for kiss mode, so you will need to set them if the txd is too long or so
short that your packets aren't decoded.

Also, there is a difference between TAPR 2 and KPC products on the air... I
also can't recall this detail exactly, but something to do with the way
multiple frames are placed into one packet.  One of them adds an extra byte
at the end, the other adds the extra delimiter byte only when necessary.

And finally, you will have to watch the 192 ($c0) appearing in the packet.
You'll have to encode a transposition character.  See
http://www.ka9q.net/papers/kiss.html for the nitty gritty.

Wes
---
Hitler gave great speeches too!