[aprssig] How to send packet through a KISS modem

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon Aug 3 10:29:44 EDT 2009

Rob,

I ran into a few things that kept me from transmitting as well.  One was the port byte indicator.  I would have to go back and look at the spec to tell you where it goes, but it is one of the first bytes after the first FEND.  Also, when you saw "raw packet" wrapped in FENDs, does that mean you are not "encoding" it in the correct format?  Just a raw ASCII packet?  If you are decoding, then you understand the format that the packet is given to you and you must send a packet to the TNC in this same format.

Just for reference, check out the analyzer program I wrote for learning how a KISS packet works (its the last program on the page):

http://www.ke4nyv.com/software.htm

Just paste in a raw KISS packet and it will break down every element for you.  It is quick and dirty, but it helped me a lot.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com