[aprssig] Anyone using an old Garmin III (not "street pilot III") with a D700?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Apr 26 10:44:04 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 12:14:35AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ko6th_greg at hotmail.com> flavor, containing:

> This may sound like an "is it turned on" sort of question, but is the GPS memory full?  I forget what mine did when I filled it up, but this sounds vaguely familiar.  (I have the GPS-III, but not a D700, so I can't try it.)  The GPS-III also has limitations on waypoint names, 6 characters, I think, upper case only; stuff like that.

Good question, actually.  I doubt the waypoint memory is full, because it's
only the objects that it objects to, and the error message is "Invalid Waypoint"
not "Waypoint Memory Full,"  but it could be that is the issue.

He has the D700 set to NMEA 6-digit for waypoint, but it could be that the
mixed-case is giving it fits.  All of my object names had mixed case.

I'll suggest to him that he clear waypoint memory and try to send a few objects
out to see what really triggers it.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation