[aprssig] lat,log incorrect at kc8gkf-5

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Wed Apr 15 02:50:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 01:12:22PM -0400, Mr Jeffrey L Ross wrote:
> [...]

Whatever the "uiss" is...   You are aware of the multitude of coordinate
presentation styles?  Assuming wrong presentation style when reading data
from GPS will result on wrong map position.

It all depends on the application.  On APRS the format, like Pete et.al.
have tried to explain, is this hybride of  degrees and minutes with
decimals.  NOT degrees and decimals.

The one that APRS uses is:  dd mm.mm N/S    ddd mm.mm E/W

Above the white-spaces are added for emphasis only.
"d" is degrees, "m" is minutes and its decimals.  For latitude there
are two digits on degrees, for longitude there are three.

What your user client takes for input/shows as output can also be different!
Or what your expectation is can also be quite something else...

Sometimes I do use:  dd.ddddddd     -- degrees and decimals
Other times I use:   dd mm ss.ssss  -- degrees, minutes and seconds
When working with a theodolite I usually use grads.

73 de Matti, OH2MQK