[aprssig] N494CZ/WB9CQO

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sat Apr 4 12:49:46 EDT 2009

I see three hits in the QRZ database for the name 'Beduhn', none of them
in WI where N494CZ is registered.  No hits for the street address.  If
it's a mis-entered call, it would seem to be someone else's.

Maybe we need to come up with a generic postcard for these cases that 1.
Doesn't automatically assume wrongdoing, 2. Provides information on how
to get licensed if the recipient isn't already, 3. Gently reminds the
recipient of the possible $11,000 fine, and 4. Provides an email address
to contact if they have any questions.

Might be less confrontational than a phone call - I know that has turned
out badly in a few cases.  Yes, I know this is supposed to be the
responsibility of OOs, but frankly, some of them seem to be jerks.  Or
at least have some sort of mall cop syndrome.

This isn't about enforcement, it's about education if the recipient
truly doesn't know they're doing something wrong, and gently letting
them know that someone IS watching.  For anyone who thought it was like
GMRS where hardly anyone gets the license and no one enforces it, this
would tell them otherwise.  If they keep operating illegally after that,
well, then the rabid OOs have a legitimate target to go after.

If someone wants to come up with the text for such a card and provide
addresses, I'll be happy to do the printing and mailing.

Scott
N1VG