[aprssig] Sharp Zaurus ZR-5000 for APRS messaging

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Wed Sep 17 21:40:38 EDT 2008

--- k4rjj at bellsouth.net wrote:

>  I need to look around a bit more.  I seem to
> remember there was a modem to mount on the side.

Yes, they made a simple 14.4 modem that plugged right
into the serial port on the left side.  The right side
has a PCMCIA slot, but is pretty limited to what it
supports.  One of my 5800's came with a PCMCIA 14.4
modem that is claimed to work with it, but I don't
have a regular phone line at home to try it with, so I
can't confirm that.  Not that it would help us here
anyways ;o)

> What I need is the plain serial cable that plugs in
> the same port.

Take a look at my first post with the picture links.
The pins are fairly fine pitch and small.  I beleive
the port is actually TTL level and the cable has to do
the level conversion, at least I know my Sharp made
cable does that.  I would assume the same for the
other cables I have.

Jason KE4NYV
RPC Electronics
www.rpc-electronics.com